Eye MakeUp Tips:
The eyes are a beautiful expressive feature of a women’s face and are often the first thing we notice about somebody. The power of makeup is a really wonderful tool, it is an instant pick me up that you can use to get really creative with, helping to complete your overall look. Getting the eyes right is not always easy to achieve, especially when first starting out. This article looks at some of the tips and techniques used by professional makeup artists, that will help you to master your eyeliner and eye shadow application and create your own makeup personality:
|Eye Makeup Step #1: Always Start With An Eye Primer|
|Eye primer helps create a smooth surface for the eye makeup. Once the primer has dried, you can apply an eyeshadow base that helps make the eyeshadow stick to the skin better. If you don’t have an eyeshadow base, a concealer or foundation will do.|
|Eye Makeup Step #2: Start With 4 Basic Shades|
|For beginners, you want to start with 4 basic shades to pull off an everyday natural look. You need a highlighter that is a shade lighter than your skin tone, a matte mid-tone shade, a contour shade that is 2-3 shades darker than the skin and a matte black shade. If you have a facial highlighter, you can use that too.|
When it comes to makeup below the eyes let the makeup above your eyes be the guide, you never want to do more below then above. The result you want to achieve is to have an upward effect with your makeup application, not a look that pulls attention downwards. If in doubt apply the makeup above your eyes first, this will help you determine what you are going to do below.
- Eye shadows come in different textures such as powders, creams and liquids. Powders are the most popular choice, as they tend to be the easiest to control. Creams and gloss can give a nice highlighted effect especially for the evening, but can tend to smudge easily and end up forming in the creases of the eye, so wear with care.
|Eye Makeup Step #3: Grab The Essential Eye Makeup Brushes|
|You will need a small flat eyeshadow brush for application, a small and medium-sized blending brush and a smudger (optional).|
|Eye Makeup Step #4: Glide Your Flat Brush|
|Glide your flat brush on the lightest shade and apply this on the inner corner of the eyes. This is where most of the product should be and then you can easily blend outwards after.Make sure to tap your brush before applying to remove excess product.|
|Eye Makeup Step #5: Here’S A Neat Trick You Can Try|
|Dip the tip of the brush in water enough to dampen it. Then glide it on the eyeshadow and apply again in the inner-most corner of the eyes (tearduct area). You’ll be amazed at how pigmented it is.|
When you’re done with that, use the same color and highlight the arch of your eyebrows.
- It’s important to note when thinking about applying eye shadow colors that a light shadow will make the eyes pop and stand out and a dark shadow will make the eyes recede.
- Avoid pairing strong eye makeup with intense lip color. You don’t want to accentuate more then one feature on your face, otherwise people’s eyes will be on your makeup and not on you.
- Liquid eyeliner can give a really great dramatic eye effect but can be messy to apply. A trick is to wipe any excess off first on the back of your hand, that will help to give it more staying power.
- If you have small or thinning lashes, a great tip is to damp your eyeliner brush and apply a small amount of powder as close to the lash as possible, and then work to layer this along the lash line. Lengthening mascara is also another great idea for short lashes, as they contain fibres that build up on the tip of the lashes, helping to create the illusion of fuller and longer looking lashes. Thickening mascaras that contain silicones also help to enhance the appearance of lashes.
- When using a mascara wand as tempting as it is, avoid using a pumping action when trying to coat the brush, as this adds air into the case causing it to dry out.
- As a rule of thumb try to avoid using waterproof mascara. Although it has great staying power it can be really stubborn to remove and you end up pulling and damaging the delicate tissue around the eye
- There is no better way to give your eyes a lift then using an eyelash curler that allows for greater precision when curling the lash. A tip to make this curl last throughout the day is to seal it with a gel mascara immediately after curling.
Don’t forget to blend! Your eyes should not be able to detect any obvious lines, it should look as natural and seamless as possible.
The trick with applying eye makeup is to be confident and get creative; the majority of women tend to stick with neutrals when it comes to their eye makeup routine. Don’t be afraid to get creative sometimes and experiment to find a look that suits you, give color a chance occasionally. Your eyes are probably the one feature on your face where just about anything goes, that says a lot about you and your own personal style.
|Eye Makeup Step #7: Contour The Eyes|
|Using the contour shade, apply from the outer corner while blending into the crease on the outer half of the eye. Please make sure that you don’t blend too high because the mid-tone shade should always be higher than the contour shade.|
|Eye Makeup Step #6: Mid-Tone Shade|
|Now on to the mid-tone shade. Use a blending brush to apply the eyeshadow above the crease, blending from the outer corner inwards.|
How will you know you didn’t overdo it with the shadow? Hold your brush at the edge of your nose going up to the edge of the eyes. Anything below the line should be clear.